Sunday, October 2, 2011

1/2 Marathon Training

Two of my friends from college and I are walking a half marathon in Chicago at the end of October. I've trained by doing a bunch of 4 and 5 mile walks, but I hadn't yet done any longer walks until this weekend.
Yesterday I walked 6.5mi with J in the stroller and Gilda walking along with me. I was planning to just do our regular 4 miles, but J was sleeping so nicely in the stroller that I kept going.
Today Eric watched J while Gilda and I walked to town and back. We stopped for a latte and a blueberry muffin in town, but only for about 15min. Altogether, it was a 9 mile walk and took us 3 hours and 20 min. Including the pitstop. Not so bad! The weather was perfect. I found a bunch of gorgeous yellow Amanita muscaria mushrooms on the way and some shaggy manes (Coprinus comatus)! I have the mushroom magic touch this year - I found the first morel, the oysters, the honey mushrooms, and now these.
My plan is to do one 4mi and one 8-10mi walk each week until the 1/2 marathon. I hope the weather cooperates!

No comments: