Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Embroidery Quotes

Another project that I have in mind is less well thought out ... I am thinking of embroidering some inspiring quotes and framing them in vintage embroidery hoops to hang in my office/craft room. Maybe 3 or 5 - I want them to hang in a set, and I like odd numbers. I haven't decided on the quotes, or any of the other details yet though. Some quotes I like so far from Thoreau:
"live free, child of the mist"
"Let us first be as simple and well as Nature ourselves, dispel the clouds which hang over our brows, and take up a little life into our pores.”
"To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts,
nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live
according to its dictates, a life of simplicity, independence,
magnanimity, and trust"
The last one is pretty long - I don't know how large or detailed I want these to be, but that's probably too much. Still, I could do it in a larger size and frame it in a regular frame too.
I'm inspired by the gorgeous work of Chez Sucre Chez but I think I want to do something a little different - less formal, maybe more in a 'handwritten' style, and I'm not sure about adding little images like she does.
Perhaps something like this cool embroidery from the Great Northern etsy shop:


I don't understand this quote at all and I have no idea who Special Agent Dale Cooper is, but I love the casual handwritten look. I like the natural linen with the black thread too. But I'm going to think about incorporating some color and maybe a little accent design.

No comments: