Monday, May 11, 2009

String Quilt Pillows


string block quilted pillows
Originally uploaded by filminthefridge

The string quilt is still far from being on its way ... I haven't even finished buying all the fabric yet. I'm a little low on $$ right now, so I'm going to wait until I can afford to get the fabrics that I really want. Luckily, I have a *fantastic* fabric store right nearby - Erica's has a huge selection of absolutely gorgeous fabrics. I'm planning to take snips of the current fabrics with me and pick out all the rest there. But since I also have a trip to New Orleans coming up, I don't know when exactly I'll be able to go.
I do, however, have two feather-filled pillows that need covers. I think I'll practice making the quilt squares by doing a couple of covers for those pillows - also rainbow/string style. Of course, I do need to get the fabric for that!
I was just thinking of doing one square per pillow - in other words, just one set of diagonal stripes. But then I saw the pillows in the picture above and now I think it might be better to do four squares per pillow - that would be great practice for the actual quilt. I'd like for them to each be different - I guess the easier way to do that would just be to use different fabrics for the stripes in each one. But I could also do a different layout: either do rainbow stripes in each block, unlike the quilt, or do two colors in each block like the quilt, but mix up the colors for the pillows.
I think I actually like the idea of a full rainbow of stripes in each block - that way the pillows will actually be quite different from the quilt, but they'll still fit perfectly because the fabrics will be all the same.

Also, I'm going to make my pillows without the border that the ones in the picture have - not only will that be easier to sew, but I like the look better - it seems cleaner and will fit better with the actual quilt, which also will not have a border.

I was planning to use the blue comforter as a backing for the quilt, so I might have to cut into it early in order to make the backing for the pillows. It's almost time to switch to a summer comforter anyway, so that should be fine.

No comments: