Monday, August 22, 2011

Zucchini fritters

Zucchini fritters with dijon-mayo

After making zucchini-ganoush last week, I wanted to make zucchini fritters too. We still have tons of zucchini in the garden. Feeling munchy for a late-night snack tonight, we decided to make them. Here's the basic idea:
- Shred a giant zucchini in the food processor
- Beat together approximately 6 eggs, about 4 or 5T of flour, a little salt and pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg
- Mix the zucchini and egg mixture together
- Fry it up like little pancakes
- Top the finished fritters with a mixture of mayo and dijon mustard

I think the ratio of eggs-zucchini was a little high though. Next time I think maybe 4 eggs to each giant zucchini. I really want it to be mostly veggie with just enough egg to hold it all together. 

Last time that I made these I made the dijon-aise myself instead of just mixing together pre-made mayo and mustard. But tonight I was feeling lazy and we were low on oil. Homemade dijon-aise is pretty easy though.
I just put some dijon mustard in a mini food processor along with some fresh French thyme and then slowly poured in olive oil with the food processor spinning. It whipped up into this delicious, frothy spread that we perfect with the fritters. That time I made kohlrabi green fritters though. Which are also terrific, but you have to cook down the kohlrabi greens a little before you fritter them - they're just too tough to use raw. We had a ton of kohlrabi this year too and this was a great way to use the greens. We used the kohlrabi bulbs to make slaw.
Zucchini is super tender, of course, so no need to saute it before frittering. Making fritters = frittering? I love it. Frittering my time away! Ha.

No comments: