Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Zucchini-ganoush

Well, I don't know exactly what to call it. But we have WAY too many giant zucchinis around here. We went out of town for a week and things got a little out of hand. I made some zucchini bread, but there's a limit to how much of that stuff (even though it was delicious! adapted from the Smitten Kitchen recipe) I can eat.
So today I made zucchini baba ganoush. It's so easy - just like making hummus, but with one extra step: you have to roast the zucchini. You're supposed to roast the garlic too, but I forgot and it turned out fine with raw garlic. So this is what you do:
- roast the zucchini at 400F for about 1/2hr (depending on how you've sliced it)
- put the roasted zucchini in the food processor along with: 3 cloves garlic, splash of lemon juice, a swirl of tahini (maybe a few teaspoons), cumin, salt, pepper, a splash of extra virgin olive oil. I don't measure this stuff - I just throw some in and then taste it until it's the way that I want it.
- whirl it around until smooth.
That's it! And it was tasty. A little grainier than eggplant baba ganoush, but I think that's because I used a giant zucchini. A smaller, more tender one would probably have been more smooth. But the whole point was to use up those monster zucchinis.
On the menu tonight: zucchini fritters with dijon mayo sauce. Yum!

No comments: